Architects: The Cost of Not Having Public Liability Insurance - Contractors Insurance Australia

November 30, 2015

Being a contracting architect has its perks. You can step out of the office when you need to, don’t need to answer to a boss, and you can work from home or an office if you choose to. On the other hand, if you were to face a Public Liability or Professional Indemnity claim as an architect, the responsibility would be on your head alone to sort out. That’s why it is extremely important to have Public Liability Insurance or Professional Indemnity Insurance in place.

Many contactors believe that they should save money where they can, or that they don’t need Public Liability or Professional Indemnity Insurance, when in fact the two are the most important types of insurance you can employ to protect your business from third party claims. Even if you believe that you can’t do much wrong as an architect, or you don’t mistakes, it’s hard to deny that human error occurs, or that accidents happen.

Public Liability for architect’s – A case study

Both types of insurance will protect you in the case that a third party claims against you. Public Liability Insurance for architects covers injuries or illness occurring as a result of your business activities to third parties. Whilst Professional Indemnity Insurance protects you if you give negligent advice about architecture.

Here is an example about Public Liability. Let’s say you design a balcony for a restaurant. Upon arrival of guests and under the added weight strain, the balcony collapses during dinner service. The patrons on this balcony could be injured, disabled, or worse – deceased, as a result. Your design could be deemed negligent. In this case you would be liable to pay for settlement costs, legal fees, medical bills, loss of income, and other associated bills for those affected by the collapse.

Make sure that you don’t get caught out without Public Liability or Professional Indemnity Insurance for architects. It’ll be the difference between your business being out of pocket for the associated expenses of a claim, or you being covered by insurance and protecting your own funds.

Protect your business

Get online now to obtain a quote for insurance with Contractor Cover. Call us on 1300 GET COVER today, email at or fill in our easy online quoter. All information provided above is of a general nature, if you need specific advice we recommend speaking to a broker.

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email –
Website –

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia