Cleaner Insurance: Getting to Know the Policies Which Apply to You - Contractors Insurance Australia

August 4, 2016

With so many homes and businesses calling on cleaners, it’s no wonder that you’re likely busier than ever. However, don’t let your insurance go on the backburner – you need to protect yourself and your business by ensuring you have the right protection in place. Let’s take a look at the main forms of insurance which apply to cleaners.

Public Liability

Public Liability Insurance protects you financially if you’re found liable after damage to property or injury to a person (not an employee or apprentice) which occurs while you’re at work. For cleaners, this form of cover is essential as damage can occur no matter how many strategies you put in place to reduce risk. From someone slipping on wet floors to inadvertent damage occurring while you’re cleaning, it’s vital that you have liability cover in place.

General Property

As a cleaner, you’re generally required to travel between different jobs while transporting your cleaning equipment. General Property Cover protects your transportable items if they’re lost, damaged or stolen which means you won’t be left having to use your own money if something happens to your items. This cover is particularly important if you have more expensive equipment, such as industrial cleaning equipment.

Personal Accident and Illness

Personal Accident and Illness Cover protects you financially if you’re suddenly unable to work by providing you with a percentage of your regular income if you can’t work due to injury or sickness. If you find yourself unable to work for a period of time, you could find yourself in a situation where you have no way of earning an income but are still be required to keep up with regular expenses. Personal Accident and Illness Cover allows cleaners to keep up with financial obligations whilst in recovery.

Tax Audit

When you’re working in your own small business as a contractor, the possibility of a tax audit may the last thing on your mind. However, the reality is that audits by the Australian Tax Office are becoming more and more common for small businesses. With Tax Audit Insurance, you’re covered for the cost of hiring a professional, such as a lawyer or an accountant, to complete the audit on your behalf.

Life insurance

Life Insurance will provide a lump sum payment to your nominated beneficiaries after your death. This means that your family won’t struggle with financial hardship after you’re gone and the money can be used however they want. Common uses for this money include paying off debt such as mortgage or credit card, ongoing expenses such as rent, education costs and general living expenses.

As a cleaning contractor, you need hassle free insurance which covers all of your areas of risk. Here at Contractor Cover, we’ve bundled together the most common insurances for contractors into one convenient package to give you peace of mind that you’ll be covered when things go wrong. We use one of the world’s largest insurers and have a special deal which offers a great price to Australian contractors.

To discuss an insurance package for your cleaning business, contact Contractor Cover today on 1300 438 268 or fill on our easy online form.

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email –
Website –

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia