What insurance do I need as a Professional Writer? - Contractors Insurance Australia

June 30, 2020

Whether you are a Technical Writer, Copywriter or a Journalist, it is essential to consider obtaining insurance to protect yourself and your assets.

At Contractor Cover, we recommend all Professional Writers to look at the following insurance:

Although protecting yourself with all the insurances listed above is a great idea, there are two covers generally taken by other writers that protect you against the essential risks – Professional Indemnity and Public Liability Insurance.

What is Professional Indemnity Insurance?

If providing advice or service for a fee is a part of your job, considering Professional Indemnity Insurance is vital for your business. For example, as a Technical Writer, your tasks involve simplifying technical or scientific ideas and concepts to make it accessible for the average reader. The nature of your work exposes you to a potential negligence claim, claims of plagiarism or claims where a client does not deem your work suitable. Professional Indemnity Insurance covers the cost of legal bills and other damages when you face a claim against you.

If you need clarification whether you need to obtain Professional Indemnity Insurance as a part of your insurance package, you can talk to one of our experienced brokers at Contractor Cover. We can help you organise comprehensive insurances for your writing business in a single purchase.

What is Public Liability Insurance?

Public Liability Insurance is one of the most common covers for Professional Writers amongst Australian businesses. It covers injuries to third-party, accidental damage to third-party property due to your professional activities, as well as accidents that may occur on your property where a third-party is involved. Accidents can be as common as tripping over a cord that is connected to your client’s laptop that causes the laptop to drop on the floor and break. In a situation like this, you may be liable for a replacement or any other charges. Luckily, if you have Public Liability Insurance, it can protect you in an instance of a small or a more significant incident depending on your premium.

If you find yourself facing a claim you may be responsible for paying legal defence costs, medical bills of the claimant and their counselling, replacement or repair of damaged property and loss of the claimant income. Therefore, Public Liability Insurance can protect you from the most significant losses you can experience as a Professional Writer.

How do I get a quote?

At Contractor Cover we have a fast and reliable quoting system that you can utilise now to get your insurance quote. No matter what type of Professional Writer you are, we can organise the right cover for you as a Journalist, Copywriter or a Technical Writer. If you have any further questions, call us today on 1300 GETCOVER (1300 438 268).

Nastasiya dromgool

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email – info@afca.org.au
Website – www.afca.org.au

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia