What Happens If I Break Something While Carrying Out My Cleaning Job? - Contractors Insurance Australia

February 25, 2020

Whether you stick to smaller domestic jobs or deal with large commercial contracts, your skill set as a cleaner are always in demand. When you’re self-employed as a cleaner, it allow you the flexibility to choose your own hours and jobs without having to hand any of the profits over to an employer. However, there are always risks attached to your work and one of the scenarios that cleaners dread is accidentally damaging client property. So, what can you do the protect yourself from this eventuality? Let’s take a look.

Protect yourself with public liability insurance

No matter how careful you are in the your work as a cleaners, accidents can happen and it’s likely that at some point you’ll inadvertently cause damage to client property. Of course, the first thing you need to do is let your client know what has happened and offer to pay for repairs and replacements. But what happens the item is valuable? Well, that’s where public liability insurance comes in.

As a cleaner, public liability insurance is an essential form of cover. It protects you financially if you cause damage to property or injury to a person as a result of your actions at work. It also covers legal costs if you need to hire a lawyer during the claims process. This policy means that if you break an expensive vase while cleaning or someone slips on your freshly mopped floors, you’re protected financially. 

Why is public liability insurance important?

Public liability insurance gives you peace of mind that you’re covered when things go wrong. Although you would hope that you’d never break something too expensive, the unexpected could happen which sees you burdened with the costs of expensive repairs and replacements. Public liability insurance gives you peace of mind that you can cover the costs of any damage. It will also likely be a condition of any contract you undertake with an employer that you have liability insurance in place. 

How much does public liability insurance cost?

Well, it depends. There are a number of things which are taken into consideration when looking at the premiums for your public liability insurance. These include the type of cleaning work you undertake, the size of your business, the number of employees you have, the location of your work and your claims history. The higher your assessed risk, the more you can expect to pay in premiums. 

Contractor Cover make life easy with our contractor package which includes all of the main forms of cover that contractors require in one policy wording. We have experience dealing with contractors across a range of industries with businesses of all sizes and we can help ensure that your risks are covered. Give us a call today!

To find out more about cleaners insurance for your business, contact Contractor Cover today on 1300 438 268.

Nastasiya dromgool

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email – info@afca.org.au
Website – www.afca.org.au

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia