Fencers Public Liability Insurance Explained - Contractors Insurance Australia

November 24, 2015

Contractors, the self-employed, and sole traders all run the risk of damaging client property or inflicting injury to a third party. That’s why it is very important for fencers to protect themselves with Public Liability Insurance in case there is a claim against them.
You might need to call on your Public Liability Insurance policy if:

  • You perform an error in the workplace
  • Your actions cause damage to someone’s property
  • Your actions cause injury to a third party

For example, you might be fencing a tight space and knock a hole in a neighbour’s window. In this case you’d be liable to pay for the replacement of the window and any associated costs including the call out of a window repair specialist. On the other hand, if you accidently knocked someone out with this piece of wood, you could be held liable for the costs associated with their medical bills. These can include doctors’ fees, rehabilitation, counselling, or specialist fees. As you might predict, the costs of the latter can rise quite high, dependent on the extent of the injury and if there is loss of income and legal fees to pay.

Should fencers get Public Liability Insurance?

The clear answer is yes. As fencers are usually self-employed contractors and responsible for their own actions and their own business, any financial claim against them will fall back to the fencer. In addition to this, it may also be mandatory for fencers to get Public Liability Insurance before stepping onto certain work sites due to the contract set by the site manager or builder.

Protect your fencing business

The best way to find out how much your premium might be for Public Liability Insurance is to get a fast and easy quote from Contractor Cover. Get online now to obtain a quote for insurance. Call us on 1300 GET COVER today, email at info@contractorcover.com.au. All information provided above is of a general nature, if you need specific advice we recommend speaking to a broker.

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email – info@afca.org.au
Website – www.afca.org.au

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia