How to insure a new business - Contractors Insurance Australia

June 10, 2015

It is easy to get carried away with organising the running of your new business, as well logos, business name, stationary, website design, and hiring staff. With so many things to organise, it is easy to brush over the practical matters such as insurance. However, insurance is vital in order to protect your financially and give you the necessary peace of mind to run your business without a hitch.

After setting up your new business, you will need to ensure you engage a comprehensive insurance package. Insurance can give you the confidence in knowing that just in case something does happen, you will be covered.

When starting your new business, the decisions and set up costs can put you under significant pressure. Insurance can help ensure that any financial risks are squashed and you can continue to operate in the future.

The different types of insurance you will need will vary on the industry you operate in. A good insurance broker will be able to help you decide what might be the best package for you.

Property Insurance

If you have started a new business, chances are you will need to insure some kind of property, machinery, tools of the trade, or equipment – property insurance can help protect these physical assets.
Property insurance can help protect your property, including vehicle if you go out on the road, if you are office based, if can cover items such as furniture, computers, or hardware related to your business in the case of an insured event.

If you rent your business property, you will still be likely to need property insurance for things such as glass repairs or replacements. If you are unsure about the type of property insurance you might need, speak to your insurance broker.

Business Interruption Insurance

Sometimes no matter how prepared or careful you are, unexpected events occur which mean your business needs to stop operator or is forced to close for a certain amount of time. It is in these cases where business interruption insurance can help you.

If your business if affected by fire, floods, storm damage or other significant damage, business interruption insurance will cover your earnings whilst you are recovering from these losses and waiting to get back into business.

Personal Accident and Injury Insurance

If you have just started a new business chances are that you have put a lot of money into your venture and do not have much left in your savings to fall back on. Personal accident and injury insurance can help to protect your income in case you find yourself unable to work for a period of time. It will help to provide you with some money so you can sustain yourself financially whilst you cannot work.

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance is perhaps the most essential and common type of insurance for contractors and new businesses. If you damage property or another person as a result of your business activities you can be sued for damages and wind up with a hefty bill if found guilty.

Even the most careful and precise of contractors will find that things do go wrong when running a business. The bill for being found liable for a claim against you can run into thousands, and even millions of dollars if it was a serious incident. These types of events can mean financial disaster for a small business.

Having a public liability policy in place means you are covered and the insurance company will pay for your expenses. In many cases of contractor work, you will find that public liability is actually compulsory.

Need more info?

Contractor Cover specialises in providing insurance for a wide range of contractors and across many different industries. Speak to one of our insurance brokers to get more information about the best insurance package for your new business so you can be prepared for the unexpected.

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email –
Website –

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia