Insurance for Architects - Contractors Insurance Australia

August 15, 2016

Architects have a dynamic and creative profession, having to work with clients to achieve their vision while also ensuring the final design will work. No matter how busy you are, it’s important not to forget to cover your areas of risk through insurance. Let’s take a closer look at the insurances which may apply to you.

Make sure you’re covered

Public liability insurance – Public liability insurance means you’re covered financially if you cause damage to property or injury to a person while you’re at work. If you work from an office as an architect or have clients visiting your home, you must have liability insurance in place in case a client injures themselves or a third party has any property damaged.
Personal accident and illness cover – If you’re suddenly unable to work due to injury or sickness, personal accident insurance will continue to provide you with a portion of your income until you can return to work or your policy expires. This allows you to keep up with expenses while you recover.
General property cover – General property insurance covers the items you carry with you if they’re lost, damaged or stolen. For architects, this covers items such as your phone, laptop and tablet which you may carry with you.
Tax audit insurance – As an architect, you’re liable to become subject to a tax audit at any time. This can be an expensive process if you hire a professional to complete the audit. With tax audit cover, the cost of hiring a professional accountant or lawyer to complete the audit on your behalf is covered.
Life insurance – Life insurance will provide your family with a lump sum payment upon your death. This lessens any financial hardship and your family can spend this money as they wish. Life insurance often goes towards expenses such as paying off the mortgage and credit card debt, general living expenses, rent and utilities, and education costs.
Professional indemnity insurance – Professional indemnity insurance is designed to protect professionals who provide advice or services to customers. It protects you financially from claims by a third party that you have breached your professional duties. For architects, this could include inadequate design, negligent advice and planning deficiencies.

Speak to your broker

Organising insurance can be a time consuming process – you need to consider all of your areas of risk and make sure you have the right level of cover. You also need to be familiar with the details of your insurances so there are no surprises come claim time. Of course, you can always take the hard word out by speaking with an insurance broker.

An insurance broker has the expertise and specialised knowledge to make sure you get the best policy at the best price. Also, when it comes to claim time, your broker will deal directly with the insurer on your behalf.
At Contractor Cover, we understand the specific needs of contractors and have conveniently provided all the most common insurances into one package for you.

To discuss architect insurance or for any other questions, contact Contractor Cover today on 1300 438 268 and we’d be happy to help.

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email –
Website –

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia