Insurance for Self-Employed Contractors: Our Top 6 Insurance Picks - Contractors Insurance Australia

July 31, 2019

With over two million self-employed Australians across the country, there are a lot of advantages to working for yourself. However, it also means that you often don’t have the same level of protection as an employee which means you need to make sure you have insurance in place for your financial peace of mind. Let’s explore the main policies you need to consider as a self-employed contractor.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance is designed to protect professionals who provide advice and/or services. It offers financial protection if a third party makes a claim against you for breach of professional duty or negligence. For many contactors, you won’t be able to practice without this cover in place.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is essential cover for most contractors. This policy will protect you financially if you cause injury to a person or damage to property as the result of your actions at work. It also covers your legal bills if you need to hire a lawyer during the claims process.

General property insurance

Contractors often carry around equipment such as phones and laptops in their day to day work. Consider for a moment how expensive it would be if something happened to these items while you were on the road. General property insurance has you covered by protecting your transportable items if they’re lost, damaged or stolen.

Personal accident and illness insurance

Personal accident and illness insurance means that you’ll continue to receive a portion of your regular income if you suddenly find yourself unable to work due to an accident or illness. For contractors, this means you don’t have to worry about the financial strain of not earning an income while you recover.

Tax audit insurance

When you’re a busy contractor, the last thing you need to worry about is handling an unexpected tax audit yourself. With tax audit insurance, you’ll be reimbursed for the costs of hiring an accountant or other tax professional to complete the audit on your behalf.

Life Insurance

Life insurance gives you the peace of mind that your loved ones will be taken care of in the event of your death. With this policy, your nominated beneficiaries will receive a once off lump sum in the event of your death. This payment can be spend as your family sees fit.

At Contractor Cover, we provide clever insurance for self-employed contractors. We’re backed by one of the largest insurers in the world which has allowed us to arrange the best price for contractor insurance. Our unique approach combines the most common forms of insurance cover into a single policy for the ultimate in convenience. If you need additional cover outside of our contactor package, simply speak to one of our brokers and we can assist.

For cost effective insurance for self-employed contractors, contact Contractor Cover today on 1300 438 268.

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email –
Website –

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia