Which 3 Types Of Insurance Cover Are Essential For Personal Trainers? - Contractors Insurance Australia

October 19, 2016

Personal trainers need to make sure they are covered with the right types of insurance for their businesses. Whether you work as an individual mobile person trainer, rent space in someone else’s gym, attend your clients’ work place, or even if you run a gym yourself and have personal trainers working for you, there are many risks which can leave you exposed. Here we’ll go through some of the important types of insurance for personal trainers.

Public Liability for personal trainers

With training clients comes the risk that they may injure themselves whilst you’re working with them. If a third party such as a client, a visitor, cleaner, or even maintenance person comes to your gym and is injured or damages their property as a result of this, then you could be held liable for the damage or recovery costs. For example, a client might trip over a machine and break an arm, if you own this gym, you could be held liable for the medical bills, tests, or loss of income until they are fit to work again.
If you’re working independently, for example at an outdoor park, and your client injures themselves, you can also be held liable for the costs to the client for this injury.

Income protection for personal trainers

As a personal trainer, it’s likely that you don’t get sick leave or annual leave when things go wrong for you. If you fall ill, are injured, or can’t work for any reason, there is often no back-up from an employer if you’re running your own business to make sure you’re still getting an income. By allocating Income Protection Insurance for this reason, you’ll ensure you can still keep up with your regular payments for rent, mortgage, utilities, or groceries as normally as possible until you’re fit to work again. You’ll simply get paid a regular amount (up to 80% of your income) until your policy expires or until you go back to work.

Professional Indemnity Insurance for personal trainers

Under your instruction your clients will be performing exercises and potentially following nutrition programs set out by yourself. Professional Indemnity Insurance for personal trainers ensures that if the advice you give to your clients results in injury or illness, that you are covered to pay for medical costs or loss to them. This is important for personal trainers, as you will be giving advice daily to your clients about their training programs and take-home instructions.

If you have any questions regarding which types of insurance are applicable to your type of personal training business in Australia, Contact us at Contract Cover on 1300GETCOVER today and we’ll help you put together an appropriate package that will have you covered.

Nastasiya dromgool

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email – info@afca.org.au
Website – www.afca.org.au

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia