Mortgage Broker Insurance Requirements - What Cover Do You Need? - Contractors Insurance Australia

July 3, 2019

In the complex world of finance and mortgages, your work as a mortgage broker is essential as you do the legwork to help people get set up with a home loan. But it’s not just your clients you need to take care of – you also need to ensure that you have adequate protection with the right insurance so you’re protected financially. To get you thinking about your insurance, let’s look at some of the most common policies that mortgage and finance brokers should consider.

Professional indemnity insurance

Professional indemnity insurance will protect you against the cost of a claim for negligence or breach of professional duty if you provide professional advice and services. In Australia, mortgage and finance brokers are obligated to have indemnity insurance in place. All it can take is incorrect advice, a mistake on a loan application, or misleading information to result in a third party claim which is why it’s so important for mortgage brokers to have appropriate cover.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance is designed to protect you financially if you cause injury to a third party or damage to property as the result of your actions at work. If your clients visit you at your office or at home, you need to have this cover in place. Something as simple as a client tripping over and injuring themselves on your premises could result in an expensive claim and liability insurance means you don’t have to use your own savings to pay the associated costs. It also covers legal fees if you need to hire a lawyer during the claims process.

General property insurance<

Busy mortgage brokers are often required to travel to various offices and client homes with your expensive laptops and other equipment in tow. Not only would it be incredibly inconvenient if something happened to these items, it would also be very expensive if you were looking at a replacement. With general property insurance, you’re covered if your transportable items are lost, damaged or stolen which offers you ongoing peace of mind when you’re travelling around for work.

Life insurance

Life insurance is something that all contractors should consider and mortgage brokers are no exception. If you something were to happen to you, it’s important that you think about what would happen to your loved ones. How would they cope with ongoing expenses without you around? Life insurance means that your nominated beneficiaries will receive a one-off payment which they can put towards whatever they wish, from paying off debt to going towards education expenses.

At Contractor Cover, we specialise in providing cost effective insurance for contractors across Australia. We provide life insurance for mortgage and finance brokers, which is included in our convenient insurance package developed specifically for contractors. This single policy contains all of the major insurance policies that contractors needs so you can be confident that you’re covered.

If you’re interested in finding out more about life insurance for mortgage brokers, or any other form of cover, speak with the team at Contractor Cover today on 1300 438 268.

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email –
Website –

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia