What Insurance Cover Do Plumbers in Victoria Need? - Contractors Insurance Australia

December 17, 2019

For most plumbers working across Australia, working as a contractor comes with the territory. Although working for yourself offers flexibility and means that you’re not handing over profits to a third party, it also means that you need to take care of practical arrangements such as insurance. Let’s take a look at some of the most important insurance policies that plumbers in Victoria need to consider.

Public liability insurance

Public liability insurance provided financial protection if you cause damage to property or injury to a person as a result of your actions at work. It also covers bills if you need to hire a lawyer due to a liability claim. For plumbers, accidents can happen all too easily with and all it would take if for client property to be damaged while you’re undertaking a job or for someone to slip due to water not being cleaned up properly for a liability claim to occur. Although public liability insurance isn’t a legal requirement, many employers will expect you to have cover before they take you on as a contractor and clients will often want assurances that you have liability cover in place.

General property insurance

General property insurance offers financial cover if your transportable items are lost, damaged or stolen. For plumbers who carry their tools and equipment around to various work sites, it’s easy to see why this cover is so important. If something happened to your tools, consider for a moment how much it would cost to replace each item. It can really add up! It can be especially expensive if something happens to your power tools or larger specialist equipment.

Personal accident insurance

Although there are benefits to being self-employed, it also generally means that you don’t have access to leave benefit. For plumbers, this can be problematic if you find yourself in a situation where you’re unable to work. With personal accident and illness insurance, you’ll continue to receive a portion of your incomes if you’re unable to work to an injury or illness. Your payments will continue for the life of the policy, which is generally one to two years, or until you’re able to return to work. These payments can be used for things like medical bills, rent and mortgage, and daily living expenses.

Having personal accidental insurance in place gives you financial peace of mind that you can continue to have an income if you can’t work. This allows you the time to recover without forcing yourself back to work before you’re ready due to financial strain.

Insurance for contactors

Contractor Cover are committed to offering the insurance you need for your contracting business at a competitive price. Backed by the largest insurer in the world, our contractor pack includes the most recommended insurance policies for contractors in one convenient package. This means you’re getting quality cover without the need to mess about with multiple policies. We make insurance for contractors easy!

Nastasiya dromgool

General Advice Warning – retail clients *

General advice on this website has been prepared without taking into account your objectives, financial situation or needs. Before acting on the advice, please consider its appropriateness. You should also consider our disclosure documents, which include our Financial Services Guide (FSG) and Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) for some products.
*Retail clients are individuals or those purchasing an insurance product for use in connection with a small business where the product is a designated retail product (eg motor vehicle, home buildings, home contents, personal and domestic property, sickness and accidental and travel insurance). All other clients are wholesale clients.

We are a member of the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA). If you have a complaint and it is not resolved to your satisfaction by us, you have the right to refer the matter to the AFCA. The AFCA can be contacted at:

Mailing address
Australian Financial Complaints Authority, GPO Box 3, Melbourne, VIC 3001

Ph – 1800 931 678
Email – info@afca.org.au
Website – www.afca.org.au

Website By Cohesion Co.

Contractor Cover is a registered trading name of
Elliott Australia Group Pty Ltd
AFSL 418512
ABN: 81 153 685 922
© Contractor Cover – Insurance for Contractors in Australia